Tuesday, July 19, 2016

More Cigar Pochade Boxes

Last month I blogged about some pochade boxes I built using cigar boxes. I built one which I use for watercolor painting and oil painting. Since then I built two smaller ones for compact painting when I do not want to work larger.

Pochade Box for 5" x 7" Panels

Over a week ago I went back to the cigar shop where I bought the cigar boxes. There were new boxes in stock and I picked up four of them. The smallest box measures 6" x 8 1/2" x 1 1/2". I built this one especially for 5" x 7" panels and it's my favorite because of the size. I used it for the first time last Friday evening at Discovery park.


My palette is a piece of hardboard which I conditioned to prevent oil from being sucked out of my paint. Several pieces of Gorilla Tape secure it to the box.


The panel is secured by two brass hooks at the bottom and two pieces of wood at the top. The wood pieces are wrapped with Gorilla Tape to ensure there is enough friction to hold the panel in place. Unlike my other pochade box, I can carry a wet panel inside the box.


I can paint in portrait format and the panel is held in place at the top by a brass clip. I actually have two clips but I found that one is enough to prevent the panel from falling back. The black tab on the panel is made from Gorilla Tape. I paint on panels and I started using these tabs last Spring. The tabs allow me to pick up a wet panel without having to lift it up by the edges. This especially helps when I'm outdoors and I'm putting a panel into my wet panel carrier.




The gap when the box closes resulted from cutting the box so it closes properly with the two brass clips. It's a cosmetic defect but doesn't bother me. So far I'm enjoying this box because of it's compact size. I like working on the 5" x 7" panels as it allows me to create tight, detailed studies. I was inspired by Erik Koeppel who often creates outdoor paintings in smaller sizes. This is a good box to take on longer hikes when you don't feel like carrying a tripod. It's good for working in tight areas along trails and vantage points where you don't have much space.

Small Watercolor Pochade Box

Shortly after I built by tripod box, I fashioned a smaller box which accommodates watercolor blocks/ pads 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" or smaller. I can even secure a small all media sketch book which I did at Discovery Park one evening.


This box measures 6" x 9" x 1 1/2". My case of 12 full pan watercolors fits perfectly( Actually I put in two additional pans in the case, totaling 14). This is a Rublev set but uses the same case as Schmincke watercolors. The four additional pans in the back are secured with Gorilla Tape.


My water jar rig is secured to the side. I can hold this box while standing and paint.


When painting in portrait format I use a bungee cord to secure the pad. However, as my pad uses fewer sheets in the future it may bow. 




You can see how everything fits inside this box. If I want to to use watercolors rather than oils I have all I need. In addition to this I carry a case for my watercolor brushes.

Tripod Pochade Box

This is the box I built which I featured on my earlier posts. It measures 8" x 9"x 1 1/2". So far it has worked perfectly for my outdoor painting needs. It's lightweight, a decent size, and has a low profile. I can easily stow it in any pack.
 The panel holder is one I designed based on the box I made last year. I made this using brass strips and speed nuts. The upper hooks are adjustable and can hold a vertical panel up to 12". Shortly after making this box I realized that the two upper hooks are unnecessary and a central hook will suffice. The palette is masonite which has been conditioned. I built this box to use with a  9" x 12" and smaller panel.

Several weeks ago I decided to paint on 6" x 8" panels in addition to the 9" x 12"s. In order to secure the panels in landscape format I added two hooks at the lower speed nuts. These hooks will also secure a 5" x 7" panel.



A plate with T nut made by Guerilla Painter is attached to the bottom of the box so I can use it with a tripod.

Side Trays/ Paint Box

For my larger box I fashioned two side trays out of a smaller Oliva cigar box. Each tray attaches to the side of my pochade box.

I used to store my short-handle Rosemary brushes in this box and I did my best to stow it in my pack with the bristles pointing up. However I discovered that the bristles on my rigger were getting bent. Recently I bought another bamboo brush roll specifically for painting outdoors. Now I can carry my long handle brushes with me too. 

I also used to carry my paints in a freezer bag which I did not find ideal because of it's bulk. My side trays perfectly hold 8 tubes of Rublev oil colors in their 50 ml tubes.

The plein air painting colors I use for most landscapes are Lead White # 2, Blue Ridge Yellow Ochre, Naples Yellow Genuine, Venetian Red, Italian Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue (Green or Red Shade),Roman Black Earth, and Cypress Burnt Umber Warm. Sometimes I'll carry a tube of Nicosia Green earth or Cobalt Chromite Blue (Cerulean). 
I secure the box with a bungee cord, put it in a freezer bag in case a tube leaks, and I carry it in my pack next to the tripod pochade box.

So far I'm very happy with my cigar pochade boxes. I made all three with less than $30 in supplies and it was fun making them. Lots of blogs and articles on the internet discuss making pochade boxes from cigar boxes. If you're looking to start painting outdoors, do not wish to spend a lot of money, or want to have a light weight/ low bulk kit, I would recommend building a cigar pochade box. As I mentioned before I may buy an Open Box M or Easy L in the future. Right now these boxes work perfectly for me and I saved $180- $231.



1 comment: