Sunday, March 12, 2017

Plein Air Painting For Beginners, Part 1- The Easel/ Pochade Box

Thomas Cole, Self-Portrait, Detail from The Oxbow, 1836
Metropolitan Museum of Art

As Spring and great weather draws near in the coming weeks, especially here in the Pacific Northwest, I've been looking forward to painting outdoors. I plan to do a lot of plein air painting this Spring and Summer around Seattle, Mt. Si, Snoqualmie Pass, and Skykomish County. I also will be starting my own workshops and classes this Summer with a focus on outdoor painting. My classes will be geared towards those who are new to painting outdoors. I am writing this post for beginners who are ready to dive into plein air painting.



My kit, designed for hikes up to a 10 mile round trip (perhaps beyond that!)

There is a lot of information on the internet about plein air painting. Some of it can be overwhelming for beginners and they tend to buy supplies that are too much to carry and awkward to set up. I want to share my suggestions on how to keep your kit tight and light.



The Easel/ Pochade Box
When I started to become interested in Plein Air painting I thought that I needed a French Easel. Thankfully I did some research before spending my hard earned money.

You don't need one of these!

French easels are bulky, awkward to set up, and they weigh anywhere from 9 1/2 lbs to 14 lbs. This item is unnecessary unless you plan to paint large canvases within walking distance from your car. If you are going to hike with your painting kit this will not work out. Go for a pochade box with camera tripod instead.

What to buy?
With the variety of pochade boxes on the market this can also get overwhelming. Guerrilla Painter and Sienna are two brands which are widely available through art supplies stores such as Dick Blick. Many beginning plein air painters go for these. My advice- skip these too! The profile on some of the boxes is too bulky. There are slimmer versions of each brand but I'd invest my money in a better box if you're spending over $100.

If you really want to invest your money in a nice box and you plan to seriously pursue plein air painting then I'd recommend any of the following brands- Open Box M, Artwork Essentials, Alla Prima, and Strada. These are the professional brands. I have heard that Open Box M doesn't have great customer service and are slow to ship but I like the aesthetics of the box itself. 

Looking at all the options and box sizes for each brand here's what I recommend.
  • Stay small- You don't need the largest box of the brands. A box that measures 8 x10 or 10 x 12 will suffice.
  • A box that carries all your supplies is not needed. This is unnecessary bulk. Keep your closed box's profile low.
  • An integral Panel Carrier is nice but once again not necessary. Later I will talk about wet panel carrying options.
  • To sum it up, your pochade box is a support for your painting and holds your palette. Keep it simple. You can carry your supplies elsewhere.

Feeling handy and want to save money? Build your own pochade box from a cigar box!
This is what I did last Spring. I have three different pochade boxes I made using cigar boxes. See my older post on cigar boxes.

Basic boxes with hinges ready to be customized.

Your box can be really simple with tightening hinges, a piece of disposable palette paper in the bottom, and panel that fits in the lid pinned in place with push pins( a sheet of cork would be best to do this). Or if you're feeling creative and want more options for your box you can make an adjustable panel holder, hardboard palette in the bottom, thumbhole for a handheld box, or tripod mount plate for use with a camera tripod. If your box has a taller profile you can create compartments for paint tubes, brushes, and a removable palette. All this can be done for anywhere between $8- $30 saving you a lot of money while creating a nice box that suits your outdoor painting needs.

Small box for 5 x 7 panels.

 My box for Panels up to 10 x 12, with camera tripod

The tripod-for a tripod mounted box
If you choose to use your box with a tripod you will need one that's heavy duty. A lightweight one can blow over or not withstand that weight of your box. Mine is a Manfrotto 190xb which I bought used off of eBay for $99. In addition to the tripod you need a ball head attachment. I use a DMKFoto Heavy Duty Ball Head with Quick Release Plate. I bought it from Amazon for $16.90. So far it's durability has been perfect.  

Sketch/ Paint Box 
Not up for splurging on a tripod? Then an artists sketch box is a nice alternative. This is a larger box which can be fitted with a strap and carried over your shoulder. When you're painting you are seated and the box rests on your lap. The box carries your paints, brushes, and palette. Sometimes the lid can hold up to three wet paintings depending on the design. Smaller panels can be pinned to the lid using push pins. In order to use this box you will need a folding chair or camp stool. Most artists of the early to late 19th Century used this set up. Current artists Erik Koeppel and Lauren Sansaricq also use a sketch box with chair.
Albert Bierstadt sketching with his paint box

My next posts on plein air painting will focus on supplies such as paints, panels, brushes, and paint carriers. Please contact me if you have any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment