Tuesday, March 1, 2016

First Day of Scholars Atelier

This afternoon I began my after school advanced drawing and painting program at First Place Scholars a private elementary school in Seattle's Central district. I was teaching drawing to the 4th/5th grade class this year and I decided to start a program for students who have shown great aptitude in drawing. I chose eight 4th and 5th graders for the program which is every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon running through June 15. Today was an introduction to the atelier, discussion of the instruction my students will receive, and the issue of drawing supplies.

Here is their drawing kit which includes Tombow Mono pencils and Nitram Charcoal. The Prismacolor Ebony, Sepia, and Sanguine pencils were part of supplies donated to my general drawing class by Rubbermaid. Regarding the Tombow Pencils and Nitram Charcoal I believe that students who are learning to draw should use quality materials. In this case they will use the exact same brands I use as a professional artist. Later when we start egg tempera painting my students will make their paint from my personal supply of pigments from Kremer and dispersions from Natural Pigments.

As I talked about supplies one of my 4th graders did ask me if the class will be using silverpoint. She had seen my silverpoint in my drawing kit a few months ago and asked about it. I told her no silverpoint. But who knows, maybe in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment