Saturday, March 5, 2016

Rublev Lead Whites Part 1

I have been using Rublev Oil Colors by Natural Pigments since February 2013 and I absolutely love these paints. Before I say anymore I want everyone to know that I am not a spokesman for Natural Pigments nor are they paying me to rave about and promote their products. The cash flow goes from my pockets into theirs and I hope the company will be around for a long time so they can keep earning my money. That's how good their products are. Actually their products are exemplary and they have broadened my painting technique.

Rublev has an amazing variety of lead white paint. They carry 7 different varieties, each with unique working characteristics. What other artist grade paint company offers that? Most companies will offer titanium white, zinc white, a mix of the two, and sometimes flake white or Cremnitz white. Titanium is the standard white in the industry for most artists, and many of us know that zinc white should be avoided if we care about our paintings' longevity. The lead white offered by some companies-flake white- usually contains zinc white. 

Beginning artists may wonder what's the hype with lead white. Titanium white is non-toxic and easily available. Plus the news coming from Flint, Michigan reminds us of the dangers caused by lead poisoning. However, lead white paint used with safe studio practices can create a painting experience that titanium cannot offer. Read about the history of lead white paint used by artists and try out a tube. As long as it is used safely the threat of lead poisoning is minimal. Many of the old masters lived past 60 and off the top of my head I can only think of Caravaggio who may have suffered from lead poisoning. 

Back to the Rublev lead whites- I have tried all 7 of them and I have found each one useful. I do prefer several above the rest but that's my own personal preference. The textural effects these paints can achieve are matched by no other brand. I've tried Williamsburg and Old Holland since 2008 and I thought they were great at the time. Since I've converted to a disciple of Rublev oil colors I only use the Rublev lead whites. I still have a little bit of Old Holland lead white left but I haven't touched it for years. In fact I don't even want to use it for underpainting. It just doesn't feel right to me.

In a future post I will describe each of the Rublev lead whites working properties. You can see my tubes here. Most I've had for almost two years. The Ceruse was a recent purchase and I purchase at least 3 tubes of lead white # 2 a year. 


If you want to sample some of the Rublev line I highly recommend Lead White # 2. Take a look at this bit of Lead White # 2 straight out of the tube with no additives.


No comments:

Post a Comment