Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Blue Rooster Art Supply Company

At one point I was buying Grumbacher oil colors from Michaels- way back in 2002 before I decided on painting as my major.  Later in March 2003 I started to become bougie when it came to paint and I started to order from Blick- Sennelier Oil colors during the time when France opposed the US invasion of Iraq. Buying Sennelier was my protest against the folks who wanted to rename French Fries "Freedom Fries." Actually I thought Sennelier would be a pretty good brand to try, but I could be political too.

Over the years Blick was my number one source for art supplies. Blick's selection allowed me to try many artist grade brands such as Gamblin, Williamsburg, Old Holland,  Blockx, and M.Graham without paying retail prices elsewhere. Only when it was an emergency would I hit up Plaza Art on the VCU campus.

Then in Fall 2009 I discovered Natural Pigments. In February 2013 I decided to try the Rublev line after nearly avoiding the brand because of a review on unsaid forum. It's the best decision regarding my materials I ever made. I still order from Blick to purchase drawing materials, Gamsol, Gamvar, etc. But Rublev is now the line of paint I prefer. Unfortunately Blick doesn't carry Rublev. Then again if it did I'd be paying WA state sales tax.

Several years ago I discovered Blue Rooster Art Supply Company. They carry the Rublev line of oil colors including a few of their mediums. Their prices are lower than Natural Pigments and orders over $25 get free shipping. Customer service is excellent. One time I ordered a tube of Lead Tin Yellow. They only had one left in stock and were reordering. They said the tube they had was "ugly" because oil had leaked on the tube and they offered it to me for a discount. I gladly accepted it saving myself some cash. I still have the tube and it is perfectly usable. 

I recently placed an order which I do several times a year especially when I need more lead white # 2 or Venetian Medium. Here is a recent order to replenish colors I use often plus a couple of new additions to my palette- French Red Ochre and Bone Black. I was running out of Velazquez Medium which I plan to use more extensively this year. Blue Rooster had to order more 130 ml Venetian Medium tubes and they sent me three 50 ml tubes so I wouldn't have to wait. No extra charge on that plus I get an extra 20 ml of medium. Super cool people! I also ordered a 32 oz jar of Golden acrylic dispersion ground to prep some ACM panels. No sales tax on that one! Also Blue Rooster started sending stickers with their logo. I stuck one on my sketchbook and I gave two others to a couple of my atelier students today.

Even though Blue Rooster is my number one source for Rublev oil colors I still order from Natural Pigments. Recently I ordered a 50 ml tube of Cobalt Chromite Blue, malachite pigment, and Italian Varnish. Later this year I will order some Blue Verditer pigment to augment my 17th Century palette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment